Love: Take 1... Action!

There are a couple "firsts" that need to be mentioned before I begin my rant of the day. Well, maybe just one: This is my 10th post! A major accomplishment for a non-blogging, full-time, end-of-the-year, Freshman college student. I'm happy you've made it his far; and I'm happy I've made it too. Let's make it a little farther together...

I didn't go to church today; It was a dark night. The morning sun was strong though, and I mustered up the strength to go on a run. I grabbed my ipod and jogged into the morning; the birds chirped and the leaves rustled in agreement with my choice. In my ipod, I had one of my dad's old sermons on the doctrine of eternal rewards. It was comforting to here him speak again, and to here his corny jokes with the result of corporate laughter. I could almost see the faces and smiles of some very distinct laughers who carried over into this recording of this sermon. It made me smile; and it made me sigh.

In my devotion time this past week, I've been reading the love chapter. No, not 1 Corinthians 13; I think the real love chapter is chapter 4 of 1 John. 1 John 4:7-5:12 begins to develop the idea of what it means to fellowship with a God who is love. One of the hardest things about living with a God who is agape is that perfect love is not our innate nature, nor something that can be learned; it is an experiential response to God, who, as we've mentioned, is love. God’s love is manifested in that He acted: Sending His son. For our love to be made complete. The message in 1 John 4 lead us to the realization that 1) it is through God that we love and 2) it is through markeable deeds that our love is manifested:

"God’s love in us requires deeds by which we show our love for one another" (NIV Commentary).

I wish I had been writing more often, because I have so much that has stood out to me recently. I've been learning that just as we are to be holy because God is Holy, we are also to be loving because God is love: We are to be like Him. I've also ben struck by the fact that I live through Christ’s atoning sacrifice, which exemplifies the extent of God’s love for me, and for the whole world. As it stood, my fate was death, but my Savior’s intention for me is life. In order to grant me this amazing intention, He loved me. In order to claim this incomprehensible gift, I responded to His love.

Lastly and most poignantly in my devotion lessons, is my battle with God's ability to care. I’m afraid that God really doesn’t care about my life; that He portrays no passion for my dreams; and that He is unmoved by my anguish. These fears aren’t biblical, but they are binding and strong just the same. God is impartial, yes, but that does not mean that my fear concerning his caring character is justified. I've found a few verses to help remind me of the truth of God's love, care, tenderness, and faithfulness:

"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. "

- 1 Peter 5:7


"Nevertheless, the LORD your God was not willing to listen to Balaam, but the LORD your God turned the curse into a blessing for you because the LORD your God loves you."

- Deuteronomy 23:5


"The LORD is compassionate and gracious, Slow to anger and abounding in lovingkindness."

- Psalm 103:8


"So that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen."

- Ephesians 3:17-2
1


If you like, feel free to share some verses that come to mind as you consider God's love.

Comments

Popular Posts