I Got A Feeling

Room sign-ups are over. I am in Arnold 323: rooming with my roomie and and suiting with some sweeties. It's played out roughly but resolved purposefully. God's presence was evident throughout, though not in a way I'd like to repeat anytime soon as it was painfully raw.

I'm in the last chapter of 1 John; I have learned more than I anticipated, enjoyed much more than I sought, and shared much more than I intended. It's been a beautiful experience and I'm sad to say the journey is transitioning soon. Love has been expounded on in the ending chapters of 1 John. From the familiar "perfect love casts out fear" (4:18) to the simple "For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments" (5:3). What I've learned from 1 John about love is that love for God is not an emotional feeling toward God. It is a decision; an action; a choice to surrender and willingly follow Christ forevermore. In essence, it is following Christ’s example (taking up our crosses and following) in laying down our lives. Both in regards to true love for Christians and true love for God. And God has shown us this example of love:

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." -Romans 5:8

Regarding the non-burdensomeness of commands in 1 John 5:3, what a transformation. At first, when we are in darkness, God’s ways seem strange and arduous. However, we who have been born of God, though His ways are still higher than ours (and seemingly just as unknowable) living the life of love becomes our delight. Seeking and hungering after righteousness begets our joyous fulfillment. Mat. 5:6.

What a difference when we allow the love of Christ to indwell us... What if we realize He already does, through the Holy Spirit.

Comments

Popular Posts