Help it Grow

I was watching the movie FernGully yesterday and the mantra of the plot was "help it grow." It was their job as "tree spirits" (aka fairies) to find the creating power of a seed and to encourage it to establish its roots, break ground, and sprout up. Yes, this was in no way a Christian movie, but it actually complements what I've been reading in 1 John. I've finally made it to chapter 3 (Reading the Bible slowly gives me a chance to delicately savor every verse) and I've been reading a lot about what it means to abide in Christ and how to love.

1 John 3:10 explains how we can distinguish between children of God and false claimers (NASB says, "The children of God and the children of the devil are obvious."). The community of God and the community of sin make themselves known by whether or not they continue to do or not do what is right. And what is this “Right” that we, as children of God, are to follow? We are to love our fellow Christians. Love is the foundational indicator of God’s seed in our lives. After all, if God is love, how can anyone who has experienced His cleansing love continue to “go on sinning,” meaning, continue not loving the community of Christ?

Loving is like evangelism in Acts 1:8. It starts close to home: “Love the Lord your God, and love your neighbor as yourself.” Then, it reaches out a little farther: Love your brother (Your Christian brothers and sisters). Finally, it is carried to the ends of the Earth: It encompasses every part of your life, 1 Cor. 16:14. But it we continue in lawlessness i.e., sin, our love will grow cold (Mat. 24:12).

In addition to develop a love-oriented focus for our lives, I'm learning a redefined love, and that this love is not natural to me. The command to “love one another” has its origin in the nature of God. The truth is that to eros (physical/selfish love) is human; to agape (unconditional, selfless love) is God. To say I love you with all of my heart is a weak statement, because on my own I have not love. But with God, love dwells in my whole being because God is love.

I am God’s, I am loved, and I can love with a love that's richer than my roots can nourish.

God, help the seed of love You've planted in me to grow...

Comments

  1. beautifully said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. as i've said before: i am to love the Lord with all my heart, soul and mind. If i really do that, what love have i left to love others? only what God gives me. which is unconditional, perfect love...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That's really good. I've never thought of it that way before. I would love to develop the depth you have, and the confidence of interpretation. Maybe someday I will get there, or realize that I already have. Thanks for helping me grow!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment