Grapes in the Cafeteria

Good morning everyone! There is nothing better than opening the dorm blinds, listening to music, and typing away during the awkward hour between French and chapel right? Or is it just me?

I am expecting a package today, so I went to the mailroom at 8:30 am, informed them that I was expecting a package but hadn't received an email notification yet, and asked if they could check the mail for me anyway (because I was that excited about getting a package!). Low and behold she told me no, I would have to wait until the email notification, and that she can't check for me. Deflated, I drudged off to French class, sat through a very monotonous lecture (aren't they always on Monday mornings?) and at 10:00 am headed back to my dorm. I opened my computer and typed in the address for Bryan email... What do you think I see? Not only was there a package notification, but it was sent at 8:34 am!!! Now WHY in the WORLD could you not have given me my package when I went to the mailroom at 8:30 but at 8:34 when the notification email comes you'd hand it over with a smile and a perky greeting?

*Humph*

Well, fortunately, I am in 1 John 2 and read the verses that explain how if you hate your brother, you are still walking in darkness. Honestly, if it only takes an inconvenience to make me frustrated than I don't know what I'll do if, say, one of my scholarships was cancelled. Yikes. Anger really shows you what you care about, and from today's experience it seems I care about some pretty shakeable things. Despite the picture I've painted in your head, I did not throw my hands up in distress, stomp my feet all the way across campus, or rip apart my school books in disgust during or after my package fiasco. However, I did experience frustration, annoyance, and selfishness this morning because I cared so much about what I expected this day to bring ME.

I don't ever want to get to the place where I think pleasure is wrong; God is not against celebration; He rejoices over me with singing and longs to be my complete joy (John 16:24, Zephaniah 3:17, Psalms 16:11, and Psalms 90:14). But I can't let myself get to the place where I turn pleasures into more than blessings because, in the end, they make terrible gods and can't hold any water.

P.S. There were grapes in the cafeteria today.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts