Walking on Water: 6.0


Clem and I talked for hours about the ocean, he was walking in stride with me now. He told me before he went to the ocean, he heard of a creek not far from his house. Supposedly, claimed the town, this creek had the same cleansing abilities as the ocean, and was far more convenient to get to. What’s more, the town folk were convinced that the ocean was going to flood soon, and they’d simply be wasting a trip. Better to let it come to them, they said. Clem, being an impulsive man, went lickity-split straight to the creek and cannon-balled in.

“I hit the bottom, instantly, it was rock hard,” Clem grimaced. “That wasn’t the worst of it though. After I hit the bottom, I began feeling the impact of the water around me. It was heavy, like a net of chains. I got out quick as I could and ran back to my house. When I walked in the door, I slipped right on the linoleum, sprawled like an eagle on the floor! Turns out, that water was like a magnet for the sand. I’d been collecting the pellets like gold from the water’s edge. I took the longest and roughest bath of my life that night. Took me ages to slough all that sand off my body. What’s worse, I couldn’t get the feeling of it out of my system. I knew that creek was no ocean. Strangely, I couldn’t get it outta my head. It’s like I somehow belonged there, but I hated it.”

The story continued with Clem’s hatred of the creek fueling his desire for the ocean. Skipping over the details, Clem explained in broad terms the general difficulty of getting to the ocean, but the ultimate taste of purity once he finally made it.

“I spent a lot of time in that water. Sailing, swimming, walking… but I came to realize I’d be more useful back on the land. Someone needed to go back to my town and let ‘em know the ocean was content to stay where it was fer now… and they’d best get their tails over quick is can be.”

I nodded, though I didn’t fully understand what I was agreeing to. 

Comments

Popular Posts