Walking on Water: 3.0

 
Since having that discussion with my mom about the ocean, I did my best to avoid the sand; all the while anticipating the trip I would soon make to the ocean. It was hard to endure my friends’ accusations. They constantly questioned my decision to stand on the sidelines, while they played in the sand. Even worse, they didn’t understand, and often scorned, my explanations of the ocean. The hope of that life-giving water was enough to get me through days even as tough as the day Grady chased me with his sand bucket. He pursued me all day, and when I couldn’t take it any longer, I whipped my head around as I turned a sharp corner, and unleashed the most hateful insult I could manage. He laughed at me as I tripped on a root, hitting the ground and getting sand all in my mouth.

Comments

Popular Posts