Walking on Water: 5.0



“Hi,” I said. 

He smiled.

“I’m Cassandra.”

He met my gaze. “I’m Clem." The twinkle in his eye was unmistakable. "I reckon you’re headed to the ocean, eh?”

I giggled despite myself, “Yes, you’re quite right. I’m ready to wash off this sand once and for all. I’ve believed in the ocean for 10 years, but I’ve yet to really experience it, ya know?”

Clem made a guttural noise in agreement. “It’s really the best thing to happen to a man. Can’t imagine a person'd live too long without it. I mean, really live.” 

It was then I truly took in Clem’s appearance. Sure, he was rugged and built; a red man. Yet, he was clean. I never noticed this fact about Clem until now, and it kind of surprised me. The surprise must have shown on my face, because just then Clem took focused interest in examining the afternoon clouds, all white and sure of themselves. 

“I s’pose you never pictured a guy like me’d been to the ocean?” 

“Ummm, no… well,” I stammered, trying to appear encouraging. “I mean, I guess I just didn’t look hard enough. I see it now, of course! It’s just, I noticed your company first, not your appearance.” 

Clem seemed settled by this response. That’s when the real dialogue began.

Comments

Popular Posts