I'm an American, and yes, I Have a Dream


I was thinking about the words to an old Casting Crowns song, "American Dream." This was my favorite song on their original album, though for what reason I can't pinpoint. I used to sing it repeatedly, as I fell asleep, as I walked to the park, as I observed my sister playing video games. Okay, maybe it wasn't always vocal, but I was definitely singing in my head!

With the uproar on Bryan College campus caused by a controversial chapel speaker last Wed. I remembered a section of lyrics from "American Dream":

He used to say, "Whoever dies with the most toys wins,"
But if he loses his soul, what has he gained in the end?
I'll take a shack on the rock,
Over a castle in the sand.

As the unrest settles back into routine, and the discord into the daily grind, I can't help but hum—thinking about "loving the least of these (Mat. 25:35-45)" and "doing all things for the sake of the gospel (1 Cor. 9:13)" at the same time.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts