Hey, Hey, Sunday!

The Sabbath and I are trying to be friends today, I'm not sure it will be a long-term relationship.

I've determined to use today as my second "Sabbath experience" for y class CLF Perspectives on the Sabbath. However, it hasn't gone as well as you might think. I'm not sure if it's because I"m not used to it, because I didn't do enough planning for what I wanted to do on it, or what. I do know that I can't wait for Monday...

Several things were planned for today, but most all of which were thwarted by circumstances. Granted, I did have a nice, serene Bible study this morning, in which I looked at the story of Noah and Jesus' and Peter's exchange in John 21. In reading about Noah, it was interesting that the guy was actually rarely mentioned at all! Most of it involved God's instructions calling for Noah's obedience. Noah did obey the Lord in faith as he did "all that the LORD had commanded him" (6:22 and 7:5). This reminded me of a reflection exercise I did last Spring on Gen. 1-10. Here's what stood out to me specifically about Noah:


1. I love how “Noah did everything just as God commanded him” (Gen. 6:22 and 7:5). That takes a lot of trust and respect that I wish I had because it’s my tendency to only do what God says to the extent that it’s reasonable or that it’s comfortable.

2. Even though Noah knew the ground was dry by sending out the dove, he didn’t go out until God told him to. What a great reminder that even though we may have an idea about what God wants us to do next, we should still wait on His guidance to make the first move.

3. Noah isn’t perfect and at the end of the flood account, Genesis is sure in showing us his sinful, fallen nature. This really resonates with me because I am sinful, but it doesn’t excuse me from trusting and being used by God.


Moving on to the discourse between Jesus and Peter, I have been learning a lot of nuances and details about the passage that I want to share with you. First off, take a look at the text below:

When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?”
“Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.” Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you truly love me?”
He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.” The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my sheep.

-John 21:15-17


Now, there's WAY TOO MUCH packed into this passage than I have the energy to hash out, but I do want to point out a few things.

First, the word "love" used between Jesus and Peter is different for the first two inquiries. Jesus says, "Simon, to you "agapao" me?" and Peter answers, "Lord, You know I Phileo You" for the first two times. Many people think that this is not significant, but it is at the very least intriguing. Agapao is a form of the greek word "agape," which is perfect love: God love, it is never attributed to humans. Peter's reply of "phileo" is kindred love, brotherly love: it implies affection and is also a very high level of love, being attributed to both God and humans. However, phileo is not agapao love... The third interchange marks a difference in Jesus' question. Jesus ask Simon, "do you phileo me?" To which Simon's reply of phileo finally makes the cut. The whole exchange is interesting because Jesus was emphasizing the kind of love it takes to truly follow and obey him, along with the fact that He was also allowing Peter to publicly amend for his thrice denial episode.

The second thing I learned about the greek in this passage (I know, aren't I just too naive to be telling you about the original languages?) is that the word for "know" undergoes a change in the third inquiry also. The first two interchanges use the word "oida," which carries the sense of intellectual knowledge. Contrarily, in the last exchange, Peter employs the word "ginosko" for "know," which denotes knowledge that is gained through experience.

Hmmm... a lot to think about.

Comments

Popular Posts