A Girl of Every Thought

What better way to start this post than by saying that I had raisin bran for breakfast? Well, come to think of it, there are several better ways to start this post. Nonetheless, raisins and bran started by day, and of course the milk—which is a given. I also started my day in thoughtful battle: The minute I slid out of the sheets I found myself pondering the possibility of banquet invitations. Would I find a special letter in my mail box? Would I have a surprise waiting for me just around the corner? With a sigh I realized I had misplaced my motives, and I began to recite to myself a mantra of "taking every thought captive" and "thinking on what is noble, true, and right." Both of these Bible verses (from 2 Corinthians 10 and Philippians 4) have been mind-savers for me, these last few hours especially. Yes, I cannot physically eliminate ALL thoughts of romance, love stories, and fanciful fantasy from my thoughts at ALL times, but I can use those times to practice broken surrender, whole-hearted humility, and devoted discipleship as I turn and re-turn those thoughts over to my heavenly Father who knows me infinitely well. A good love story is one thing, but a good God story trumps it every time.

So today, and tomorrow, and this whole week, and Sep. 25 when I go to banquet (either with a group or with someone) I'm going to have to keep on my toes as my thought-life goes on overdrive to compensate for the immense increase of campus couples. Please think of me and I'll think of you too; please pray for me as I pray for you too. Please encourage me as I approach God again and again as the princess found wandering the woods for her prince charming instead of trusting her Father to bring in the right choice.

A helpful quote that I've been pondering recently is this from "When God writes you love story." Yes, it is a cheesy book, and no, I didn't actually enjoy reading it. However, this quote did stick out and is worthy enough of being repeated electronically:

"Do you think you're called to singleness?"
"I am today."

Thanks for readin this mushy, heart throb of a post and probably feeling both nausea and pity at the same time. I don't want either of those, I just wanted to share with you my honest struggles and temptations and my efforts at letting go of them. I am feeling much happier after writing these words, and in walking faithfully down the longest aisle of life I've come to know thus far: the aisle of trusting God with my future.

The aisle may get more familiar, but it will never be easy.

Comments

Popular Posts