The Barefooted Rider

Alarms are obnoxious aren't they? There's really no way around it. They take you from sensual serenity to the bleak and cold reality of 8 am classes, windy weather, social obligations, wearisome work, or other such dreadful possibilities. I'm not even sure why I started this post that way, perhaps it's because my own alarm blurted its monotonous beep at my face this morning instead of playing its normal ipod music alarm. Anyway, I was up and ready to experience the day on time, and regardless of my previous resentment toward alarms, I am actually grateful for the little guys sometimes.

I should tell you now that this post is going to be a random one, just a simple freedom of script as I enjoy the sunshine streaming through my window blinds. So if you're late for class/work/nap time, you are completely free to skimp out on reading this as it will not be on any tests.

I was struck after personality theory with the picture of a rider on horseback. Unknown to you, I'm actually quite taken with the idea of horses, and would love to gallop through fields and mountains in the way that makes your legs ache and your hair resemble that of a troll doll. I was thinking of this image mainly because I love the feeling of flying, of wind, and of anything that takes me to beauty and the innocent pleasure of simplicity. I was reading today a commentary on John 15:14 (well, obviously the commentary covered the whole Bible but I was just reading a SECTION of it) which is the "friendship and obedience" verse following the "I am the True Vine" allegory. God is my friend, and I am God's; but not in the pen-pal type of way. God's extension of friendship to me is a truly intimate miracle in which all believer have access because of His sacrifice on the cross. The commentary says it this way: "{Jesus'} disciples are his friends because he has made known to them everything he heard from his Father...Moses likewise was God's friend, for "the Lord would speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks with his friend" (Ex 33:11; cf. Deut 34:10)... such intimacy with God is now open to all in Christ."

It is this kind of relationship that draws me into sharing my dreams and desires, though a trifle superfluous, with the God who designed me not for equality, but relationship with Him. There's no doubt in my horse-rider filled mind that God cares about my wildest fantasies, because they represent the heart which He has so carefully crafted and is continuing to meticulously mold. As I dwell on being a friend of the Most-High God, I think of Psalms 20:4, "May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed." Friendship with God is that in which I can learn to delight in His presence, in His promise, and in His plans. Not only so that I can experience such joy, but also so that the desires I have in my heart are only those which God has given me. I know, I know, this verse is interpreted at face value, meaning that God will give you what you desire when you delight yourself in Him. However, I think there's more than that. I think as you, and I, find our delight in the Lord, our desires conform to those that match His will for us, and His sovereign plan. So, in a sense, God gives (as in discloses to us) the desires of our hearts, those which He's been waiting to show us. He designed me, He knows me; I have no doubt in that. If a God who knows and loves doesn't care about giving me a plan for my life that I can love once I know then why what kind of "delight" would I find in Him? Only that of an abused maidservant who her master cannot distinguish from the one that came yesterday.

So dream of riding on horseback through the rain; in fact, dream of doing it barefoot! Our God is worthy of our delight and the friendship He extends grants us the very same thrill of our most outlandish imaginings as we learn that He not only knows what we love, but that He cares about our joy.

Let me know your thoughts, after all, what is learning how to ride a horse without falling off a few times, getting kicked and jolted around due to bad form, and reaching out for a leg up from a more experienced rider? Please help me to learn well.

Comments

Popular Posts