'Til Death do us Part, and Even After That

I can't really come up with a creative title today, but that's ok. Not every title can be legend (wait for it) dary! I've been watching How I Met Your Mother on Netflix (so much so that I'll prolly have to find a new show by spring semester!).

Today and tomorrow I'm working 2nd shift. I'm actually staying late tonight until about 12:30am (workin hard for that money). Then Saturday I'll go back in for a 3-11pm shift. I actually need to look and see what role I am for these shifts and what I need to prepare for.

The drive is getting a bit old, but that's coming from me, a driving hater. I don't understand the "get out and drive" fascination that seems to inhabit some of my close friends. They simply love the feel of being behind the wheel, whereas I feel more like I jumped into an icy river and I'm not going numb yet. Maybe down the road I'll find a new job (see what I did there?).

Today, I discovered two new Audrey Assad songs that I've been listening to while I journal and read my Bible (both wonderful and yet underrated morning activities).

Have you ever thought about the phrase "til death do us part"? That's a little shortsighted, don't you think? After all, if you believe there's life after death (or even death after death, if you wanna go into that) then shouldn't there be no expiration date on love? If death could really part you and your beloved, than I suppose it would make sense to say "I'll love you for as long as I have the capacity to, that it to say until I die." But what if death doesn't separate us? What if we continue to love people even after death? I'm sure for us who've lost anyone close to us, we don't instantly lose our love for that person. We "love and cherish them" even unto death and beyond. Death isn't the cut off of love.

Think about Jesus' love for us, it goes far beyond our deaths, and far beyond His own. He loves us from eternity backwards and forwards, both forever and fromever (new word!). If our marriages are supposed to be a picture of Christ and the church, isn't "til death do us part" heretical? Doesn't Jesus' love for His church extend even unto death, even beyond death?

Just a thought for the morning.

Comments

Popular Posts