My See-Saw on Life's Playground

I've started reading John's Gospel recently. It reminds me of when I first started this blog, going through 1 John. Anyway, what struck my most about reading in John is how often Jesus mentions "come and see" and John responds "they came and saw." When Jesus met His first two disciples (Peter and Andrew) He asked them "what are you seeking?" and they answered "where are you staying?" Sure, they were asking about His actual residence and the nature of His travels, etc. But this question transfers so easily into my life: God, where are You at? Are You close? Where are You going? How long are You in town for?

How does Jesus answer these seeking disciples? "Come, and you will see." This isn't an enigma or code for something complex. It really is a simple invitation to follow Jesus and let that following reveal the answer. The text continues. "So they came and saw where He was staying; and the stayed with Him that day."

Sometimes, it's that simple. Sometimes it's not. But sometimes it is. As my own "seeking disciple" searching for God's presence, I'm asking to see. I want to know what God's doing, what He's up to. I want to know what He's planning, where He's staying, and for how long. Most of the time, I'm asking God to come and see me. Reading this passage in John chapter 1, God is asking me to come and see Him. And He doesn't leave me alone for a second. That's what's so loving about the command to "follow" Jesus: He isn't a distant speck on the horizon; He's both before and beside me, accompanying me on the path that He's prepared ahead of time.

The amazing thing is that God saw me, before I even started seeking Him. Later on in Chapter 1 of John, Nathanial asks Jesus, "How do you know me?" and Jesus answers, "Before you were called, I saw you." It was this recognition of being "seen" and "known" that drove Nathaniel to faith in Christ! Jesus, being Jesus, basically says, "seeing is believing eh? Guess what, you'll see much more than this."

For me, I can fall back on this encounter and realize that I'm seen and known too. I'm acknowledged in God's sight; I'm not ignored. Seeing isn't believing, being seen is believing. God meets my "see" of bitterness with His own "see" of love, of comfort, of calling.   

With every "see" there will be a "saw" in time, because God keeps His promises.

Thanks for following along

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts