Vision of Hope

Yesterday was an interesting day (hard/challenging/enlightening/empowering/tiring/etc). There was a LOT that happened yesterday. I wasn't prepared, but I was used (not in a bad way!). It was amazing to approach the various situations, starting from zero and working my way into conversation and truth by what I assume was the Holy Spirit (I certainly know I was too tired and sick and bitter to come up with biblical encouragement on my own!). It makes me glad that I was raised as a PK (pastor's kid) because I was in desperate need of passages yesterday (and didn't know the struggle until I was right there in the midst of it and needed truth RIGHT THEN. 

Also, it's helped me work through my own doubt and unbelief in several cases. A sort of, "well, if I'm gonna sell it I might as well buy it" mentality. What started out as business-like tactics has blossomed into genuine care and investment in the product (in this case, the Gospel: the good news). I'm not sure if I'm sold on EVERYTHING that biblical counseling offers for healing, but I can definitely say that it's comforting to know that when I use God's words instead of my own, I will never be lying to someone or advising them in a harmful way; whereas if I was using counseling strategies their might be more "risk" in the trial and error process of finding what tools and strategies are most effective in attacking the root/core issue(s). 

Because of yesterday, passages like Psalm 119:105 are more real to me: "Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." 

Like I said, I've approached so many situations unprepared and unaware of the exact nature of the person's struggle. Nonetheless, God's word and His truth have illuminated a path on which I can walk, and lead others to follow. In my darkness, in my uncertainty, I have a lamp at my disposal. I have a light, should I choose to accept it. And that's where the rubber meets the road, isn't it? Acceptance, application, belief. 

I can repeat truth to myself even when it doesn't feel true. If it was my own words, I'd be lying to myself; but it's God's words, which I can be certain are ALWAYS true, even in my wandering. 

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a path to follow. 


Comments

Popular Posts