Victory like Wild Flowers

So, this post will have to be short. 1) because I'm aware of my readers' limited time. 2) because I'm on my mobile device and can't type near as fluently as on my laptop. For both of these reasons, please forgive my pointedness and typos. I'll do my best to avoid both. 

I'm reading Hinds Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard as part of my internship requirements. Im marred by several opinions of it, but having just started it I can't offer much review of it other than I can see reasons for both liking and despising it, as others have communicated to me are both possible reactions. Anyway, Much-Afraid has just joined the Shepherd to begin traversing to the High Places. The two of them are walking and singing through some fields full of wild flowers.

As a side note, don't you think Jesus must have a tremendous voice? I was imagining harmonizing with Him and what a marvelous privilege and experience that would be! 

Anyway, Much-Afraid notes the sad existence of wild fliers, namely that they are far more beautiful than noticed: as if their splendor goes to waste for lack of acknowledgement. The Shephers replies that it is the things most secret which are often most beautiful. That is, the things nobody notices and the things which go unpraised are often those most precious to God and to one's relationship with God.  

It makes me afraid and intrigued at the same time. I want to ask and pursue this type of beauty, secret yet precious, but it's directly opposing my natural desire to be noticed and loved. Of course, I understand why things done in sercret may be most precious to God. After all, it keeps my pride in check when I'm not receiving commendation for my works and are rather placing them directly in the presence of the only one whose opinion matters. "For God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." 1 Peter 5:5

So as counterintuitive as it seems, I'm seeking to become a wild flower: flourishing, strong, and beautiful; albeit humble in honor and recognition. 

However uncomfortable, lonely, and dissatisfying it may seem at times, faith is foundational to joy, and doubt is foundational to faith. For without questions, there is no space for trust. 

I guess what I'm saying is that I am preparing to be humble. I'm doing my best to sacrifice my performance Complex on the alter of true intimacy and acceptance. I'm confronting my fear with the notion of purpose. I'm blooming for one. It doesn't matter if anyone else sees or cares. In fact, all the better if they don't. 

Comments

  1. That is beautiful Rachel! I am glad I read it, instead of paying attention to I hope no one reads this.. I am very proud of the young woman you have become, Oh to imagine what God has planned for you in the future...what beauty.

    Love Aunt Regina

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts