Just Show Up (Otherwise Known as "Seize the Day")

Sitting at my desk again; I can't believe my life is about to shift back into the daily grind. But you know the thing about grinds? They're not personal.

During the ride home from Texas to Bryan (yes, I did just say "home" describing the school) I listened to one of Sara Groves' CD's while half-dozing by the warm sunshine of the chilled front window on the passenger's side. In this half-awake, half-asleep moment, the song "Just showed up for my own life" began. Join me as I re-read what at that time I heard with ears quickly awakened by meaning.

"Spending my time sleep walking
Moving my mouth but not saying a thing
Hoping the changes would take by working their way from the outside in
I was in love with an idea
Preoccupied with how a life should appear
Spending my time at the surface repairing the holes in the shiny veneer

There are so many ways to hide
There are so many ways not to feel
There are so many ways to deny what is real

And I just showed up for my own life
And I'm standing here taking it in and it sure looks bright

I'm going to live my life inspired
Look for the holy in the common place
Open the windows and feel all that's honest and real until I'm truly amazed
I'm going to feel all my emotions
I'm going to look you in the eyes
I'm going to listen and hear until it's finally clear and it changes our lives

There are so many ways to hide
There are so many ways not to feel
There are so many ways to deny what is real

And I just showed up for my own life
And I'm standing here taking it in and it sure looks bright

Oh the glory of God is man fully alive
Oh the glory of God is man fully alive

There are so many ways to hide
There are so many ways not to feel
There are so many ways to deny what is real

And I just showed up for my own life
And I'm standing here taking it in and it sure looks bright."


As I begin this semester, there are too many reasons to already be stressed: to already be fearful, insecure, discontent, unmotivated, depressed, distracted, and fill-in-the-blank with your most recent thought process. That's not the way I want to spend my semester. That's not the way I want to spent my life. Sara Groves' song makes the point that the shift is in our hands, either we take the bait of life-robbing emotions (i.e., the ones I mentioned in the list above) OR we just show up to our own lives. We just simply choose to be present where we are, whether we're in a rut or a paradise. Living life is not discriminating between "good" and "bad" emotions in an effort to feel only good and never bad (to the effect that we feel guilty for each bad feeling we experience). Rather, living life is to acknowledge that we're present and attentive to our surroundings (whether exciting or excruciating). The "stop and smell the roses" principle applies here as well. Don't just run by in order to look back; you'll soon find you've run out of road.

College is an extremely pertinent example (well, at least for a college student!). It's second-nature to give as little energy as possible to get through the day, and the next day, and the next day. And so it continues until you graduate and "start real life." I guess the reality that college flies by so quickly convinces many that they don't stand a chance at coming out of it with anything but memories. I mean memories are beautiful things (or haunting things), but there's so much opportunity in college (and in life, and in your day, etc.) to find something tangible—and to grow from it. Of course, I guess I use the term "tangible" pretty loosely in this context. A better word might be "authentic," "meaningful," or "worthwhile."

Well, I'm about to "show up" for bed (otherwise known as "seize the pillow). Tomorrow, I'm going to show up for Elem. statistics, Biology, and abnormal psych (along with a workout, meals, and time with friends). Wish me luck (otherwise known as pray). I'll be doing the same for you.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts