Worship - Sabbath Week One


Psalm 95

Worship and Warning

Come, let us shout joyfully to the Lord,
shout triumphantly to the rock of our salvation!
Let us enter His presence with thanksgiving;
let us shout triumphantly to Him in song.
For the Lord is a great God,
a great King above all gods.
The depths of the earth are in His hand,
and the mountain peaks are His.
The sea is His; He made it.
His hands formed the dry land.
Come, let us worship and bow down;
let us kneel before the Lord our Maker.
For He is our God,
and we are the people of His pasture,
the sheep under His care.[a]
Today, if you hear His voice:
Do not harden your hearts as at Meribah,
as on that day at Massah in the wilderness
where your fathers tested Me;
they tried Me, though they had seen what I did.
10 For 40 years I was disgusted with that generation;
I said, “They are a people whose hearts go astray;
they do not know My ways.”
11 So I swore in My anger,
“They will not enter My rest.”


Worship - Dictionary Definition

1: to honor or show reverence for

2: to regard with great or extravagant respect, honor, or devotion


Often, the definition of a word is poignant, but have you ever heard a dictionary's definition and thought to yourself, "Wow, it's missing the so much!" A lot of times, this happens for me when I look up important spiritual disciplines, practices, or traditions (i.e., prayer) or characteristics of God (i.e., glory) and I certainly feel it in regards to this word - worship.

I won't pretend I have a better definition, but many smarter and wiser people than me exist, and some of them capture a little bit better what this thing we call worship is.

Here's a few of the quotes that stand out to me from what I've read / seen:

"Worship is seeing what God is worth, and giving Him what He's worth." -Tim Keller

"Christ, in His divine innocence, said to the Woman of Samaria”, ‘Ye worship ye know not what’ – being apparently under the impression that it might be desirable, on the whole, to know what one was worshiping."
-Dorothy Sayers

“He loves Thee too little who loves anything together with Thee, which he loves not for Thy sake.”
-St. Augustine

(note, here, I'd say "loves" is akin to worship)

***(also note, I ran out of time to write anything meaningful, so this is all I got)

Comments

Popular Posts