DIY

This holiday season has surely been lined, insulated, and enveloped in creativity. Of course, I'm absolutely in love with this turn of events. In fact, I turned it, with the help of motivation and blessing. Though creativity is associated with spontaneity, there is actually a strong correlation between artistry and discipline: choosing is prerequisite to creating. Just as God chose to create the world (intentionally) so too His children have a choice, to create or not to. I choose to create, most of the time.

And so, I find myself employing quite a bit of DIY spirit this holiday season. For one, the holidays and their associated sights, sounds, and smells beckon me to embrace my creative side (decorating in new ways, baking new recipes, making one-of-a-kind gifts, etc.) As a side note, Christmas in Texas beckons me to be doubly creative, as I have to create a holiday spirit sans snow, sledding (which usually involves snow), icicle tasting (again with the snow theme), mittens/scarves (does Texas ever get below 60?), and hot chocolate by the fireside. In other words, I'm using my imagination a lot more this Christmas... thanks, Texas. 

Imagination truly is an amazing thing, right? It turns  cardboard boxes into castles for crying out loud! What else could a girl want? Imagination, along with creativity, isn't just useful during the holidays; it's applicable to everyday life. Not only is it applicable, it THRIVES on the mundane: the "everydayness" of everyday. 

And so, here I am, once again thinking: "I can do this." If I can create Christmas gifts, goodies, and games, surely I can apply this DIY attitude to optimism. I can DIY hope, motivation, energy, zeal, and kindness. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean some sort of "fake it 'til you make it" hope. Nope, I'm talking about homemade hope. The recipe is as follows: 

Ingredients: 
1. Choice
2. Prayer
3. Seasonings

Instructions:

In a large pot, pour the choice. Stir in several tablespoons of prayer along with a dash of your preferred seasonings (I like journaling, blogging, running, and talking). Simmer on low for as long as necessary. Serve right away and freeze any leftovers for future occasions. *Note: DO NOT neglect the prayer! After all, homemade hope is hopeless itself without the "reason for the season." 

I feel a spontaneous holiday sermon approaching, don't you? 
"In the same region, shepherds were staying out in the fields and keeping watch at night over their flock. Then an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, 'Don’t be afraid, for look, I proclaim to you good news of great joy that will be for all the people: Today a Savior, who is Messiah the Lord, was born for you in the city of David. This will be the sign for you: You will find a baby wrapped snugly in cloth and lying in a feeding trough.'
Suddenly there was a multitude of the heavenly host with the angel, praising God and saying: 'Glory to God in the highest heaven, and peace on earth to people He favors!'"
-Luke 2: 8-14  
'Tis the season, after all; what makes you jolly?

Comments

  1. you and being here with you this Christmas season . . .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts