Just Saying

As I was thinking about what I could write in this overdue blog update, I stopped short. Inspiration, you're late... again. Did you forget we had an appointment? Oh, and can you tell motivation that we need to reschedule? I don't feel like meeting him right now. 

So, sans inspiration and sans motivation; hère I am. Writing; or typing, rather, about nothing. Surprisingly, this is a very good thing! "Sure," you might be thinking, "good for you, but it's not very entertaining..." No, it may not be entertaining, but it's the ordinary things in life—the overlooked, mundane, everyday, simple sorts of things—that are the most glorious if you really think about it. To be "glorious" means to evoke, through beauty or worth, feelings of admiration, fame, or delight. So, if you think about it, it's the little things that really do the work, though the big things get all the credit. Discipline, as well as laziness, is cumulative: the everyday choices etch their way into the statue that is our life. They create the picture everyone else sees, even if we don't think they're a big deal. Literally, they ARE the big deal: it's those tiny, simple, short decisions that compose the gigantic, elaborate, extended memory or experience we entitle "the big deal." 

Back to the point (which is nothing, in case you forgot). When I was little, I used to pray for drama. I kid you not, I WANTED a life like a sitcom: I wanted my family to have a yelling match, I wanted to go through some crisis, just to experience something worth talking about. You can probably see the punchline coming on this one: be careful what you pray for, because what you pray is sometimes what you get. Without going into all the details, God threw drama right in my face and in my family. It was as if God was saying, "put your practice where your prayer is." God, who has protected me from so much, decided to let me flounder. You know the thing about God, though? He isn't scared off by failure, immaturity, stubbornness, or even fear. I was all of these things, and quite frankly I still am. You know the cliche "if not for grace, so too would I"? You know it's true? For by grace we have been saved, through faith, and this not of ourselves, "it’s God’s gift from start to finish! We don’t play the major role. If we did, we’d probably go around bragging that we’d done the whole thing! No, we neither make nor save ourselves" (Ephesians 2:8-9, the Message). 

Oh yeah, the point: writing about nothing is a blessing! It means that I'm satisfied, that I'm content in having an ordinary life. It means that I'm not petting a burning dog! Well, maybe not quite so dramatic, but it's nice to know that the best is yet to come; and for now, the good enough will do. I can't wait to see what God might have in store for me in the way of "big deals," but for now I will relish all those little deals that ultimately make up those big ones!

Though I don't feel like I have much worth saying, I'm just saying. 




Comments

Popular Posts