In Memory Of... I Forgot

"I'm old," says the Tired voice in my head. Tired, here, likes to focus on the negative. For instance, the flat tire I got yesterday, the fact that I still don't like my thin hair, and the inevitable monday morning. 

"That's ridiculous," replies Perspective, "if you were a book, we'd be just 5 chapters in: past all the description torture and into serious character development and plot twists! There's still so much more to the story." 

[enter myself, the mix of Tired and Perspective, among other things]

Ah, yes, Perspective; a very dear friend of mine. I wish we kept up better. It seems many of my days—and nights especially—are spent entertaining Tired. I haven't made much effort to see Perspective in a while. Can we do coffee soon? 

Remembering is both a blessing and a curse, depending simply on what I bring to mind. Tired hates remembering, but she does it a lot. It's like personal gossip: 

"Did you hear? You made a fool of yourself, remember? Oh, that's right, I told you. Well, now I'm telling you again, and again, and again." 

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do." 
-Romans 7:15 (Tired has memorized this verse)

Perspective also enjoys remembering, but realizes the mutual exclusivity of dwelling on the past and living in the present. She is always telling me her favorite pastime is having a moment, not remembering one. 

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." 
-Matthew 6:34 (This is Perspective's favorite verse)

So, memory. In a round-about way, I've come to the time and place to write and say what I wanted to when I started this post: I've been realizing the importance of what I remember, and what I forget. Unfortunately, what I forget is often what I most want to remember and what I remember is what I'd rather forget. As of late, I've been trying to recall some of the scripture I memorized as a kid. All the hours I spent repeating those precious words in my head, all for a pat on the back or a prize in the hand; for the life of me I can't remember them like I used to. Romans 12, Psalm 16, Philippians 2, parts of James, Ephesians 6; there's so many! All I could manage was Psalm 100 (probably because I learned it with friends by song). 

So, memory. In a round-about way, I've motivated myself to know scripture better by forgetting it. I think I will start with Romans 12 and Psalm 16. 

So, what are you remembering? What have you forgotten?


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts