Injustice Doesn't Happen Without a Plan: Boston Devotions 2

Key Scripture: Micah 2

Doomed! You’re doomed! At night you lie in bed, making evil plans. And when morning comes, you do what you’ve planned because you have the power. You grab any field or house that you want; you cheat families out of homes and land. But here is what the Lord says: “I am planning trouble for you. Your necks will be caught in a noose, and you will be disgraced in this time of disaster.”
When that happens, this sorrowful song will be sung about you: “Ruined! Completely ruined! The Lord has taken our land and given it to traitors.” And so you will never again own property among the Lord’s people. “Enough of your preaching!” That’s what you tell me. “We won’t be disgraced, so stop preaching!” Descendants of Jacob, is it right for you to claim that the Lord did what he did because he was angry? Doesn’t he always bless those who do right? My people, you have even stolen clothes right off the backs of your unsuspecting soldiers returning home from battle. You take over lovely homes that belong to the women of my nation. Then you cheat their children out of the inheritance that comes from the Lord. Get out of here, you crooks! You’ll find no rest here. You’re not fit to belong to the Lord’s people, and you will be destroyed. The only prophet you want is a liar who will say, “Drink and get drunk!”
I, the Lord, promise to bring together the people of Israel who have survived. I will gather them, just as a shepherd brings sheep together, and there will be many. I will break down the gate and lead them out—then I will be their king. (Micah 2:1-13, CEV)

Reflection Questions:

#1. What injustices were taking place in Israel? What was the motive behind them?

There's plotting and conspiracy, there's disobedience and rebellion, there's stealing and oppression. The motive behind the madness is pride and self-preservation. (I'm interested in hearing what you see).

#2. What injustices are present in America's cities? What similarities do you see between Israel and America?

The end justifies the means. We all do what's rigt in our own eyes. We quell those who can't speak for themselves. Like Israel, we revel against authority.

#3. Injustice does not happen without a plan (see verse 2). How have you seen this to be true? How can a person participate in injustice without being the direct cause of it?

People may not wake up saying, "I plan on being unjust today," but many of us wake up with a plan of personal success, and/or self-preservation. This feeds injustice even without directly causing it.

#4. Justice and Righteousness are pretty much synonymous. What do you think the connection between justice and the righteousness of God is?

Righteousness is about God's holiness, incorruptibility. There is no crookedness in God. Justice is also about aligning oneself and the entire world with God. I would say righteousness is personal, justice is global.

#5. Check out vs. 12-13, where God promises to reduce and restore Israel. What glimpse do we witness of God's justice, mercy, and humility? What does this deliverance mean for you?

God's mercy is present as He continues to interact with me. He talks to me (and even answers me sometimes!). He abides with me and not only allows, but invites me to come before Him and walk with Him. I see His justice in natural consequences and phenomena (i.e., sunrise). Sometimes, it's hard to see it in people. God's humble in that He doesn't assert Himself on our lives. Rather, He approaches us humbly and guides us toward right living.

Prayer
(take some time, now, to sit and reflect. Write a prayer if you like)

Lord, help me to be just today and reflect the right exercise of power to those who feel oppressed or treated like dirt (or worse). Give me the energy to be selfless.

Think about it

"The goal of the pursuit of justice must not simply be that justice happens but that reconciliation also happens."

-Miroslav Volv, Professor of Theology, Yale University

"To say that God is a God of justice is to say that He is a God who cares about the right exercise of power or authority."

-Gary A Haughen, The Good News about Injustice, p. 70

Journal

So, in my own call to live justly, I'm not concerned with "doing right things" so much as "doing things right." I am exercising the authority and humility of the position I've been given in a way that reflects God's standards and concerns.

Comments

Popular Posts