God Wants Relationship, Not Ritual: Boston Devotions 1

Key Scripture: Micah 6

The Lord said to his people: Come and present your case to the hills and mountains. Israel, I am bringing charges against you—I call upon the mountains and the earth’s firm foundation to be my witnesses. My people, have I wronged you in any way at all? Please tell me. I rescued you from Egypt, where you were slaves. I sent Moses, Aaron, and Miriam to be your leaders. Don’t forget the evil plans of King Balak of Moab or what Balaam son of Beor said to him. Remember how I, the Lord, saved you many times on your way from Acacia to Gilgal.
What offering should I bring when I bow down to worship the Lord God Most High? Should I try to please him by sacrificing calves a year old? Will thousands of sheep or rivers of olive oil make God satisfied with me? Should I sacrifice to the Lord my first-born child as payment for my terrible sins? The Lord God has told us what is right and what he demands: “See that justice is done, let mercy be your first concern, and humbly obey your God.”
I am the Lord, and it makes sense to respect my power to punish. So listen to my message for the city of Jerusalem: You store up stolen treasures and use dishonest scales. But I, the Lord, will punish you for cheating with weights and with measures. You rich people are violent, and everyone tells lies. Because of your sins, I will wound you and leave you ruined and defenseless. You will eat, but still be hungry; you will store up goods, but lose everything—I, the Lord, will let it all be captured in war. You won’t harvest what you plant or use the oil from your olive trees or drink the wine from grapes you grow. Jerusalem, this will happen because you followed the sinful example of kings Omri and Ahab. Now I will destroy you and your property. Then the people of every nation will make fun and insult you.

(Micah 6:1-16. Contemporary English Version)

Reflection Questions

#1. Check out vs. 3-5. What proof does God give Israel of His faithfulness? What proof has He given you? Be as specific as possible.

God faithfully providing the funds for my trip to Boston! Honestly, I didn't think people would really give, but God proved me wrong.

#2. What do you think God's people were trying to say/prove? Do you ever find yourself trying to appease God or go overboard with religiong (i.e., sacrificing something)?

Israel wants God to be a vending machine. Unfortunately, they don't know blessing's currency. Israel knows all the sacrifices, they just want to know WHICH ones God wants from them at WHICH times. I do this, too. I try to figure God out, and please Him with church attendance, bible reading, prayer, worship, etc. These things aren't bad, but they don't earn me favor or blessings in and of themselves.

#3. See vs. 9-16. How is Israel influenced by secular culture? What choice did Israel make and what were the results of these choices? What are some priorities and values in our society? How is the body of Christ influenced by modern culture?

In my culture @ Bryan, there is an emphasis on academics (grades, etc). Having a good social life comes second. In culture as a whole, I see electronics and technology as huge priorities. The church is influenced by academics in that it tries to give members grades. We can also elevate social status above real unity, and prioritize entertainment over reverence in worship.

#4. Why might justice, mercy, and humility be central to Israel's covenant with God? How is this reflective of God's heart for relationship?

I know I need to be humble before God (and others). If i'm proud and selfish, I cannot wholeheartedly love, serve, or hear anyone. Mercy, to me, involves recognizing and giving someone what they need (or what they would benefit from) even though they might not deserve it. Justice is really hard to couple with mercy...

Prayer

Take some time to sit and be quiet with God. Write a prayer if you like.

Help me to welcome rather than condemn prodigals.

Think About It

And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, “Which commandment is the most important of all?” Jesus answered, “The most important is, ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

-Mark 12:28-31

"Israel could not claim to follow Yahweh if their corporate life did not reflect the justice of His nature."

-John Perkins, founder of the Christian Community Development Association (from Beyond Charity, p. 128)

Journal

"Quiet time and nap time are not interchangeable"
-Stephen Bryan (fellow Break for Change member)

"For I desire mercy, no sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings."

-Hosea 6:6


Comments

Popular Posts