Spoon Fed

You would have thought I'd learned my lesson by now, but I guess God thought He'd remind me once again...

Remember my earrings story? If not, go back a view posts and read up. Recall with me the excitement of feeling the prick of the needle on my hand as a groggily rose from slumber in the middle of that ordinary turned extraordinary night. Do you remember how excited I was that God cared about my seemingly insignificant wants? Do you remember how convicted I was about needing to trust Him with the "big things" as well as the "small things?" Well, apparently I forgot, because God did it again!

Here's the insignificant made significant story of God's continued faithfulness (and sense of humor):

It was Christmas Banquet 2010: Masquerade. We had just returned from the Dayton City Armory where the shortest banquet of my life was held. My group and I quickly assembled to begin the after-banquet plan: Bake brownies, watch a movie, eat popcorn, talk like girls, stay up late. As the decadently gooey brownies cooled in the pan, and we gathered around my laptop to begin "Beauty and the Beast" we realized that our brownies and popcorn needed bowls and spoons in order to be properly enjoyed. Out we tromped to get the bowls and spoons; in we tromped bearing our precious, college-girl treasures: Bowls of wide varieties spread across the floor.

"Well, that weird," I thought to myself, "all the spoons look the same!" Shrugging this thought right off my shoulders, I added my spoon nonchalantly to the pile. That was my first mistake...

At the end of the movie (a great movie I might add!) we began cleaning the room. It was then that I realized I had no idea where my spoon was. Now, it may not seem like a big deal to you, but a college students spoons are precious commodities. This spoon was not only the only real spoon I owned, but it was also a spoon from my childhood—with little apples and grapes delicately engraved on the handle. Because of this unique design, I thought it would be easy to find at the end. However, these apple and grape handled beauties must have been mass produced and handed out to every college student in the country because every one of the spoons in that room sported the same design. Uncertain of my genuine spoon, I ended up with a smaller spoon that I knew I wasn't mine, but the others reasoned that it must be since it was the only one that looked even slightly different than the others. Dejected, I placed this spoon into my utensils container and thought nothing more of it, until...

It was one week later and I was drying my hair. One of the girls in my group (who had collected the rest of the spoons) approached me. Could it be? Was she really holding—a spoon! She looked at my and said, "I think this is yours. It's heavier than all of the others. I just thought I'd give it back to you because you looked so sad the other day."

As you can imagine, I was ecstatic, albeit slightly embarrassed at having been observed being depressed over a spoon.

So, all's well that ends well again for me and my ordinary adventures. Again, as mentioned in my last post, everything coincidental turns Providential in hindsight.

I use this post to encourage you. If you're going through a time of wondering whether God cares, or whether He's really involved in your daily life, look for "earring moments" and let Him spoon feed you.

Comments

Popular Posts