Less than What They Really Are

In a book I am reading (Finding a Job you can love) I stumbled upon an interesting point concerning if there is a point where God is given TOO MUCH credit in what we do. Of course, I don't mean that God can't handle infinite amounts of recognition, but that by minimizing our part in the ministry, we actually minimize the amount of glory that God receives because we limit His ability to work through us.

Phrases like "It wasn't me, it was God and I'm just a pipeline of God's love to you" are ways in which we excuse ourselves from responsibility, from exercising our gifts, and from witnessing that God uses us as vessels, not puppets. I can definitely relate to this issue because I know several people (including myself at times) who, when given a compliment, will "divert it" to God. In this sense, they refuse to acknowledge the fact that they have anything worth praising about them and conclude that, even with Christ, they are worthless: they can't offer anything.

On the other hand, if we put too much emphasis on our gifting, we lose the fact that God is our source: He's the One who is in control of where this ministry goes and how it affects people. Believe me, I've seen those people too. You know the ones, they "boast in the Lord" but, coincidently, forget to mention the "Lord" part.

So what do you think? How do you respond to a spiritual compliment, or a pat on the back for being ministry minded? When you pray for someone, is it just the Holy Spirit leading you or do you actually exercise some of your gifting in the way you word things or what you pray for? When someone says "you're so (fill in the blank with a fruit of the Spirit)" do you respond automatically with a shrug of your shoulders and a pointing finger to Heaven? What about a "natural" compliment such as "your hair looks really good today" or "you did a great job on that homework assignment"? Do we give those the same amount of "spiritualization" that we give other compliments? Why or why not? Should we?

Thanks for reading this post, should I go ahead and say it wasn't me, but God, who wrote it? But seriously, there's a balance here, discuss it with me.

Comments

  1. so much here. i loved it

    made me think (esp. since what i am teaching here).
    can't wait to talk some time about it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts