Working Song: More Than A Whistle

My first day working at Old Navy comprised of paperwork, story books, watching DVDs, and drawing. Definitely not your typical orientation! There were around 7 of us new employees total, and we were all around the same age: only 7 years separated the youngest (16) from the oldest (23). When I was shown to the back room, I was directed to a blue table surrounded by colorful chairs. I found my name tag, took my seat, and stared at the paperwork in front of me. I felt like I was in kindergarten again: not only was I nervous when handed the pen, but I was also extremely excited... and I was sitting at a toddler-sized table. It's a good feeling to have completed a milestone, my first day of a "real world" job, and I couldn't be happier with the experience thus far. I love the team I'm going to be working with, and I love the policies of uniqueness, simplicity, and energy that Old Navy promotes.

However, there is a spiritual aspect to my position as well. I remember in Scott Jones' Biblical Foundations class how we discussed witnessing and the workforce; and as I was sitting at Old Navy in my children's chair, I couldn't help but recall that witnessing opportunities occur most in one's work place. Though outright preaching isn't my style, nor would it be allowed at work, I am anxious to exude a little "precedented teaching" which may be exactly how I can share Christ with my co-workers here. Hopefully, as I work, I will perform and serve with a standard of excellence that points to Christ. I want to be an example in ethic, a leader in love, a rock-star in responsiveness, a top-model in truth, and a hot-rod in humility. When I'm through with this summer, I want my time at work to reflect a song that people realize isn't over yet. I want them to get so infused with the rhythm—so caught up in the chorus—that they'll pay notice to the Composer, and in such notice will begin entertaining thoughts and questions about His melody for their lives.

So, as I continue my desire to exceed just "whistling" while I work this summer, I ask that God would be the octave of my orientation (and beyond), the song of my service, and the melody of my motivation.

On the other hand, perhaps whistling is all this world can really take of God's magnificent symphony...

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts