Unprecedented Teaching

I have found that I will often forgo blogging for reasons that shouldn't apply to whether or not I write. Usually, I tell myself I can't blog for lack of creativity, or at least the feeling of it. Another thing that stifles my keyboard is shame that I don't have more to say. Two nights ago, I was reminded through lullaby and prayer the reason I started this blog in the first place: to testify to what God is doing in my life. If I'm to ever uphold that motive, I need to humble myself, even as I type now, to ensure that Christ is the center, not me or my writing. So, as I write today, I feel no creative juices filling my cup (I am hoping it's just out of my reach and that God will be my really long straw). I have neither will to write, nor idea to offer, but I do want to point out God and remember that He is near to me.

In Titus 2, I looked at verses 7-8. It kind of shifts gears from what Titus is to teach, to how Titus himself is to act. For Titus, Paul remarks that personal example and integrity are precedents of effective teaching. Nevertheless, Paul does not neglect to consider the teaching itself, and how it must be right, pure, and true doctrinally. It is amazing to consider that a big part of our message is our personal example. Without a godly reputation, or at least His recent intervention, evidently displayed in out lives, we hinder the very teaching we are preparing to share. In some ways, our personal example can prepare people to absorb God's teaching, but if neglected, our lack of personal character merits others' distrust, disrespect, and disinterest, which are dangerous things for them as would-be listeners.

This is precisely why I entitled this post "unprecedented teaching": Similar to faith being accompanied with good works, effective teaching is accompanied with personal example. This is a comforting thought for me because I tend to sweat the small stuff AS IF it's the big stuff. If I can do one thing to prepare myself for what God is going to teach through me while also preparing others to hear it, then a huge weight can be lifted off my shoulders—even though, in another sense, it's a huge responsibility to take on. Precedented Teaching, which is our Christ-centered lives leading to openly sharing God truth, demonstrates that we believe God is able... He already believes we are.

He's equipped us for any good work He has for us, and He's waiting to use us.

Comments

Popular Posts