Lessons: Verse Three

On the blog today is another installment of lessons I've had the grace and privilege of starting to learn over the last 12 months. This one is inspired by an Instagram post I saw awhile ago (honestly, I don't remember who I saw it from, or I'd give credit here...). It was all about challenging you to record the most important, life-changing, or dearest lessons / encouragements you've learned in 4 words or less. I love the idea of this, as someone who struggles with an excess of words. It inspired me when people can capture the heart of a matter with a quip phrase or salient sentence, when it takes me paragraphs upon paragraphs to dance around a concept. Don't get me wrong, I like my "flowery" way of writing (as one of my former bosses put it), but you can't blame a girl for being drawn to the talents of "less is more" writers.

As I sat down to compose my list of lessons, the words just started flowing. I couldn't believe how simple they were. I guess that's the meta lesson within the lesson: just because something is simple doesn't mean it's stupid. In fact, sometimes the most helpful answers are the shortest and the simplest. I always thought the world was so "grey" that any answer that didn't deep dive into the various perspectives of various parties would come across at worst offensive and at best naive, but lately I've found quite a bit of freedom in the simple answers, the simple truths.

Here are a few of them.

  • You are not alone.
  • You are already enough. 
  • Trust the journey. 
  • Love is the answer. 
  • You know you best. 
  • Adventure is out there. 
  • Hope fuels growth. 
  • All recovery is brave. 
  • All bodies are worthy. 
  • Coffee is magic. 
  • First, do no harm. 
  • Happiness is handmade. 
  • Don't stop believing. 


What are some of yours?


Comments

Popular Posts