Short and So Much Sweeter

I've been re-reading some of my journal entries and personal notes from awhile back. Here's one I found buried in my Bible software, Accordance, talking about Ecclesiastes 5:2.

"Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few." 

It is simple to make prayer a list of “must mentions;” a quick break to ramble, returning as quickly as possible to our lives. Also, the phrase “impulsive in thought” catches my attention. It’s as if I’m setting the table with no purpose: I pile forks, knives, plates; whatever I can get my hands on that will convey I’ve been planning to my guests. How utterly inept! God is at the head of my table and I’ve placed fork after fork in front of Him without even a thought to thank Him for coming. Prayer can be a chance to get everything out on the table, or a chance to set the stage for a beautiful occasion. After all, God knows what we need before we ask (Matthew 6:7-8), therefore, let our words be few. This gives us the all to wonderful opportunity to sit at His feet and listen. 

Letting our words be few doesn’t mean that God dislikes hearing our hearts; it’s rather the opposite. God desires for us to relate with Him, and when we ramble we take Him for granted, making ourselves the head of the relationship, or if you will, the most important ones. So, I think letting our words be few doesn’t limit our conversation, it just sweetens our communication because I am seeking God with my whole heart (including in my prayer life). I want God’s words to be my words, so I pray, let my words be few. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts