Sifting through Summer: part one


Reflecting on my summer abroad—ok, that's not really true. I spent my summer away from home, away from familiar friends, away from predictability; not overseas, but overwhelmed. It was a crazy summer before it even started. 

I was looking for practicum sites related to eating disorders, but couldn't find any interested in taking an undergrad (even though I was free labor). I was even more confused when, after being accepted as an intern with the Eating Disorder Coalition of Tennessee in Nashville, I wasn't able to find (or afford) a place to live: I had to replace my "yes" with "no" and saw an amazing opportunity slip through my hands. 

As things fell out of my hands, they (and myself) fell into God's. As it turns out, Nashville wasn't what He had in mind. Through a series of events, I contacted The Elisa Project in Dallas, TX. Within two weeks, I was interviewed and offered an internship! 

So, now I had an internship... but still no place to live. Coincidentally (if you want to call it coincidence) I have family in Rowlett, TX. just 45 min. from The Elisa Project in Dallas. Living arrangements: check. 

So, now I had an internship and a place to sleep.... but what about a job? My internship was unpaid and I was anxious to find some source of income to help cover tuition and gas costs, etc. "Well," I thought, "I could always try to get a job with Old Navy again.... Um.... Definitely not." I shuddered, remembering two summers ago and my experience working retail. Not that any particular retail company should be to blame for my personality: I just don't work very well as a salesman and I hate trying to convince people to sign up for (or buy) things they don't need. "It's gonna take me forever to apply, what if I can't get hired?" I thought, saddened. It didn't look like I was going to make much money this summer. 

Then.... BAM. My job found me before I even started applying. My uncle is employed at the Dallas Theological Seminary (which, by the way, is just a few miles from The Elisa Project). DTS (as it is affectionately known) was looking to add another female to their service staff. Not a glamorous job, by any stretch of the imagination, but a paying one (with flexible hours and fantastic people). 

So, I have an internship, a place to live, and a job. Let the summer begin... 


Comments

Popular Posts