My Updated Bucket List

Ok, this is an assignment for Professional Applications of Psychology. That doesn't change the fact that I wanted to share it with you. In fact, it enhances it!


Vision and Mission Statement:

I will one day be a devoted wife and mother applying my God-given gifts of creativity, encouragement, counseling, organization, and sense of adventure to motivate my husband and children to demonstrate proactive stewardship through their individual designs. However, if I am to remain single, I will use those same God-given gifts in a counseling, camp, or missions’ opportunity wherein I will inspire individuals to achieve health and wholeness in Christ and actualize His purpose for their lives. In order to accomplish my vision, I will first concentrate on my continued education, in which I will approach each class as an opportunity to employ creativity and stewardship while acquiring knowledge. Secondly, I will immerse myself in God’s word and in Christian fellowship so that I will be able to recognize God’s hand in my life and cultivate my gifts of counseling and encouragement in my friendships. Lastly, I will meet with godly mentors—who understand my design—to broaden my insight, discernment, and motivation as I continue pursuing and executing my vocational goals with imagination, adventure, flexibility, and faithful obedience.




Goals and Objectives
One Year Goals:

1. Graduate from Bryan College

Actions steps: Take necessary classes to complete Bible minor (Bible elective). Take necessary credits to reach minimum number of hours required to graduate (17 Spring 2012, 17 Fall 2012). Pay application fee. Send out graduation letters to family/friends. Accept diploma! *To be achieved by Dec. 2012

2. Purchase a Car

Actions steps: research types of car using resources such as consumer reports, etc. Determine reasonable budget (price + insurance + gas + maintenance) and begin a savings plan. Enlist the help of family/friends who are more knowledgeable about cars than myself. *To be achieved by graduation: Dec. 2012

3. Take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)

Action steps: Continue to study my GRE practice book and determine successful strategies. Take at least 1 full-length practice exam to familiarize myself with the material/timing of the test. Register online for the computer-based test by creating an account and paying necessary fees. Ensure I have a ride/car to borrow before test day. Follow through. *To be achieved by June 2012

4. Apply for Graduate Schools (Four)

Action steps: Determine top four schools (Baylor, Richmont, Seattle Pacific, George Fox). Contact references about letters of recommendation. Request and send transcripts. Begin writing cover letters, locating scholarships, and applying for financial aid. Research housing options in desired locations. *To be achieved 1 month prior to application deadlines

5. Tithe

Action steps: Determine average monthly income. Decide amount of income to give (5%? 10%). Choose 1-3 organizations/churches to support based on matching beliefs/goals. Set up some form of accountability (i.e, friend, journal, etc). Commit to at least 1 year of faithful giving. *To be begun by Jan. 2013


Five Year Goals

1. Pay off school debt

Action steps: Determine total amount owed + interest rate. Set-aside a specific portion of income each month to begin paying for loans. Calculate anticipated completion date. Create and stick to a budget. *To be achieved 3 years after college graduation or 5 years after post-graduate school

2. Read through the entire Bible

Action steps: Set-up a specific quiet time to spend reading scripture. Commit or reading a specific number of chapters per day (i.e., 1 from OT. 1 from NT). Physically sign an agreement or tell someone about commitment to create accountability. *To be completed by Jan. 2015

3. Support a child through Compassion International or similar organization

Action steps: Pray, seeking God’s face in determining my motives for supporting a child. Research possible organizations to find a child to support. Pray again. Contact agency and sign up for a child in need (preferably a girl 4-12 years old). Commit to sponsoring the child long-term, not just a few months. Pray for the child and his/her spiritual and physical needs. *To be completed 3 months after graduation from grad. school

4. Run a half-marathon
Action steps: Research half-marathon races in my area. Create a training program and work up to running 10 miles. Complete at least one “practice” half-marathon on my own before the actual race. Make sure my running gear (shoes, clothes, etc) are in good condition. Pay registration fee and show up in plenty of time on race day. *To be completed by July 26, 2016 (my 25th birthday)

5. Have my own apartment

Action steps: Research locations near grad-school (i.e., Texas, Chattanooga, Oregon, and Seattle). Determine budget and wish list. Contact landlords for prices, regulations, and amenities information. Purchase items necessary for independent living (i.e., pots/pans). Find potential roommates to help with rent costs (and loneliness!). Sign contract. Move in. *To be completed 2 weeks prior to starting grad-school (i.e., August 2013)

Ten Year Goals:

1. Handwrite the entire Bible

Action steps: Purchase enough lined paper to write the Bible in. Find/purchase a storage solution for the paper (i.e., binder). Determine which book to start in. If possible, carry around paper to jot down verses during free-time. Have completed project bound and place on display in a prominent place. *To be completed by July 26, 2021 (my 30th birthday)

2. Lead a young women’s Bible study

Actions steps: Approach my church about possible needs for women’s Bible studies. Determine topic/book for study. Approach peers about co-leading the study. Pray that God would bring the right young women to the study. Personally invite young women from the community to attend. Create fliers for church bulletin board advertising the study. Purchase materials for the study. Hold study once a week for 7-12 weeks. *To be completed by my 30th birthday (July 26, 2021)

3. Go on a missions trip abroad

Action steps: Pray. Research oversees mission opportunities of interest (i.e., YWAM). Put aside a portion of my income specifically for missions. Write and send support letters. Contact top 4 organizations/opportunities. Pray. Research logistics of trip (travel costs, immunizations, visa, etc). Purchase ticket, passport, and other necessities. Pray. Go.

4. Work as a counselor (i.e., at an eating-disorder ranch)

Action steps: Continue to gain experience in the field, through research, internships, observation, etc. Choose classes/specializations/internships that reflect my passion and goals. Revamp/edit resumé and cover letters. Apply to positions of interest, including Resident Director, clinical counselor, professor, and art therapist. Pray. Accept desired position.

5. Have or adopt a child

Action steps: Be myself. Get involved in activities that emphasize co-ed interaction (community sports team, Sunday school group, etc). Develop nurturing skills and confidence in working with children (i.e., volunteer at orphanage). Pray specifically for discernment and God’s sovereignty in my life. Research the pros and cons of adoption (i.e., cost). Contact the local social work or foster care agency for help. Pray that God would be preparing both me and my potential child for the adoption process. Ask my church family and friends to pray with/for me and the adoption. Gather a nest of people willing to support me and provide godly examples for the child. Prepare a room for the child. Follow-through on the process and sign paperwork for the adoption. Love him/her well.

For I know the plans I have for you”—this is the Lord’s declaration—“plans for your welfare, not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.

-Jeremiah 29:11

Comments

Popular Posts