Security Manifested

In Beth Moore's study on the Psalms of Ascent this morning, she concentrated on trusting God.

"Those who trust in the Lords are as Mount Zion, which cannot be moved but abides forever."

-Psalm 125:1

Confidence, security, and assurance in God: the foundation of genuine faith. Specifically, Moore focused on security. When asked to define what security in the Lord looks like, I wrote, "A contentment in His control of your life. A resolve that it's all gonna be ok." Describing Security is a lot harder for me than describing other aspects of Christianity. Love, for example, isn't hard for me to imagine.

Time and time again I return to this concept of security in God. One point I come away with from my quiet time this morning is that I don't naturally have security in God alone; I place it in what He's done. I'm not secure in Him, I'm secure in the manifestations of His favor: His blessings.

Predictably, when God's favor is absent, or His blessings are, in my opinion, lacking in my life, my security falters. That's not very "mountainesque" if you ask me. The majesty of a mountain is that it stands firm; it's beauty is that it is permanently planted. I want my security in Christ to be like that!

Especially in an overwhelming wave of schoolwork, the sound of "mountain-like" security is pretty appealing. Going back to my attempt at describing security in God, the only word I really like is "resolve." Its like love: a choice, not a dependent variable. Whether or not my life fosters security through blessings or not doesn't mean I'm not secure. God has me in the cleft of His hand and, as a loving Father, has the very best in mind for me. God is on my side, whether or not I believe it. If I never let Him lead me where He wants, though, I'll never realize it.

Breaking up is hard to do, especially when it's with your future.

Comments

Popular Posts