Putting my Feet on my Pillow

I am upside-down. That is all.


No really, I do have something to say. I had read Ecclesiastes 5: 1-2 earlier this week (or last week, I really don't remember) and decided to finally get deeper with it. I opened my Accordance application, whipped out my trusty notes, text, and commentary, and STUDIED! :)

Here is my text:

"Guard your steps as you go to the house of God, and draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not know they are doing evil. Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few" (Eccl. 5:1-2 NASB).

I love Ecclesiastes 5 specifically for a later verse (which I'll cover in another post... later) and that is the reason I read the chapter. But this beginning verse knocks me square off my high horse. It's true, I've been nonchalant in prayers past, but this summer I've taken prayer much more as a time to list my "must mentions" before falling asleep than a time to quiet my heart and listen at the feet of God, voicing my requests confidently as He already knows what I want before I ask Him (Matthew 6:7-8).

Also, the phrase in verse 2 “impulsive in thought” catches my attention. A Mary/Martha dinner party immediately comes to my mind. I see myself rushing around the room, whisking glasses and wielding a Swiffer as if my life depended on it. Above all, my prize is the table. It is there that my guests will be awed by my natural hostess nature and cooking finesse. But something's gone wrong: in all the stress I'm setting the table with no rhyme or reason: I pile forks, knives, plates, and whatever I can get my hands on. How utterly inept! I've completely forgotten that I only have one guest: the guest of Honor. God is at the head of my table and I’ve placed fork after fork in front of Him without even the decency to thank Him for coming. In some ways, prayer can be a chance to get everything out on the table, but if we take some time, it is also a chance to set the stage for a beautiful occasion.

Another phrase I want to address is "let your words be few." It's easy to think that this means God dislikes hearing my rambles; but it’s rather the opposite! God desires for me to relate with Him, but sometimes I ramble just to fill the prayer time. In other words, I take Him for granted, making myself the head of the relationship: the most important one. So, I think letting my words be few doesn’t limit God and I's conversation, it just sweetens our communication; I am seeking God with my whole heart (including my prayer life).

I want God’s words to be my words; so I pray, let my words be few.

Comments

Popular Posts