I Like Tuesdays

Happy Tuesday, everyone! I'm starting to become really grateful for Tuesdays. I have the day "off" from classes (not from homework though, darn) which means the day is much smoother, flexible, and often "fun" in ways my class days aren't. I also feel like I have more flexible time than having everything scheduled every hour.

I wanted to use some of the flexible time to tell you what's been going on and what I've been learning lately. I'm not sure in which direction this post is gonna go. At the same time I have too much and too little to say.

Yesterday at work (morning shift yay) I was put in charge of the shift transition (they call this role "the hashtag"). I had to make sure all the meal and snack logs were complete and I had to make sure everyone who was scheduled to work that shift showed up and got plugged into the day. Like me, you might be surprised I was doing this role: after all, it was only my second shift ever working! They really do throw you in and trust you as a competent employee after training! The day at work in general was really good. Patients have started to come to me to ask advice and talk things through. I feel very honored that they're already seeming to connect with me and value my support in their lives. I also got to sit in on portion training group and DBT group yesterday. Maybe someday I'll get to co-lead a group. :)

Tomorrow I have two classes: helping relationships, and counseling theories. Helping relationships is basically like beginners' counseling techniques where we get to learn and practice the basic skills of the helping field (i.e., active listening and reflecting). Many of you have probably heard me talk about the "empathic formula." Many MORE of you have probably experienced me using it (whether you knew it or not!). In this class we do a lot of role play activities, which is kind of scary but good at the same time.

Hmmm, so I guess I can tell you more about the free coffee story that happened to me the other day! On Friday I was going to my first official work shift and I REALLY needed a pick me up. I decided I could use some of my starbucks gift cards to get a drink on my way in for my shift. I was driving to starbucks and rolling over in my head what type of drink I wanted. I knew I wanted a cold drink… maybe a mocha cause it's safe…. but what I REALLY want is a caramel macchiato. I don't get iced caramel macchiatos often, because they're super sweet and sometimes I feel like I'm having a dessert and it doesn't feel appropriate. But todayyyyyy… well, I knew what I wanted.

I arrived at starbucks and quickly entered, strolling to the front counter. I saw the cashier holding a drink and the customer in front of me was just saying "OHhhh I forgot to ask for soy milk, didn't I?" The cashier started to prepare her a new drink, and asked if she wanted the original drink in addition "for the road." The customer turned around and, looking at me, says "do you want this."
"What is it?" I ask.
"It's an iced caramel macchiato."

*mind blown*

"YESSSS! That's actually what I was going to order!"
"Well, the Lord did it for you!"

Yes… yes He did… It was pretty amazing to have God order ahead my starbucks drink! I didn't have to pay for it or anything… and I was instantly put into a much better mood than I had been on the way to starbucks!

So yeah. That happened.

Comments

Popular Posts