The Rite of Way

I couldn't tell you why, if you asked, but I recently started thinking about rites of passage that pretty much all humans encounter as they mature. It's as if an unspoken force designs and carries out these seemingly insignificant, and often embarrassing, moments in each of our lives. As I thought more about common rites of passage, I was reminded once again that God has a remarkable sense of humor.

Rites of passage, it seems to me, are kind of like the opposite of a bucket list. Not many people aspire to achieve them, they're not really on anyone's to do list. You don't need any particular resource to experience them. I'm this sense, unlike a bucket list, rites of passage are universal, impersonal, and take little to no effort. I'm sure there are exceptions, but for the most part it's true. Here's a short list of some rites of passage I've been thinking about lately. As you read, you will most likely recall your own experiences that correspond to each rite. As these memories arise, take this post as permission to laugh, rather than pressure to criticize or judge yourself.

1) when you thought the stranger was your mom or dad

Seriously, I don't know a single child on their way to adulthood that hasn't once mistaken a perfectly innocent bystander for their parental figure. For some, this happens over the phone when they call a wrong number. In all blaring childlike stubbornness they make a request of their parent to buy them something while they're out. Or, perhaps they unashamedly shower their parent in unbridled affection. Or, perhaps they unload their complaints on the shoulders of their parental enemies. After it's all on the table come the fateful words, "I think you have the wrong number."

Perhaps your experience is in person, as my own was so many years ago. Perhaps, like me, you had a good relationship with your mom and would often run to her for extended hugs. Perhaps, like me, you were so enthrall we by these motherly moments that you failed to notice the person you were hugging was not anything like your actual mother. Like me, you noticed this far too late into the exchange.

2) walking into the bathroom of the opposite sex

Again, it doesn't matter how aware, intelligent, or determined you are. I've yet to meet a person who has avoided this rite of passage. Perhaps you had to pee so badly you ignored all signs of gender direction, or perhaps you were in the middle of la la land before you found out how the other half lives. Perhaps, you were accompanied by a sober-minded friend who went in after you for an intervention. Perhaps, like me, you merely used the men's bathroom because the line for the women's was preposterous. Perhaps, you got away with it. Or perhaps not.

3) walking in on someone using the bathroom and 4) when someone walks in on you

Both of these scenarios have happened to me more times than I'd like to admit. I guess I'm REALLY rite now. The worst is when you make eye contact.

5) getting carsick and (God forbid) throwing up in the car

You can refer to my earlier post for a description of this rite of passage. Other peoples experiences often involve paper bags, last minute escapes into the burrow pit on the side of the road, or perhaps the ever-popular puke in the mouth.

There's many more, but I'll leave those open to your imagination.

Comments

Popular Posts